Midas T DIY Face Mask
April 1, 2019 Many experts are now saying that it is probably a good idea for everyone to wear a face mask when out in public to slow the spread of Covid-19. Understanding that N95 masks need to be reserved for our healthcare workers, it makes sense for everyone to try making their own masks at home. A Cambridge University study found that a cotton blend T-shirt is 74% effective in blocking 1-micron particles.
Our company, The Midas T, has decided to convert some of our cotton blend T-shirts into masks to give away. Since we don’t know how to use a sewing machine, we found simple instructions to make mask out of a T-shirt sleeve on Heddels.com.
You will need:
- 1 T-shirt (preferable cotton blend like our Midas T-shirts)
- 1 paper clip
- Measuring tape or a ruler
- Needle and thread
- Cut sleeve off of T-shirt. Make sure to cut 1/2 inch into the body of the T-shirt.
- Cut along the seam under the T-shirt arm to make a flat piece of fabric.
- Cut our the collar of your T-shirt to make the elastic bands. Leave 1/2 inch around the collar to prevent unraveling. Then cut it in half.
- Lay your sleeve piece flat on a surface with the straight hem towards you. Measure 7 inches horizontally and cut off the ends on either side. The height is fine.
- To assemble the nose bridge, flatten out a paper clip so that it matches the angle of the peak on the sleeve and place it just below the seam that connects the sleeve to the body of the shirt. Fold the excess fabric past the seam over the top of the paperclip and stitch it in place. You should fold up the ends of the paper clip to make the ends less sharp.
- Place your collar halves on top of the sleeve with an overlap of about a half-inch so that it looks like a coffee mug. Accordion fold the fabric on top of itself sandwiching the collar between one layer of fabric on the bottom and two on the top (see photos). Stitch it in place. Repeat on the other side.
It’s a good idea to wash before use and after every use in a washing machine and then dryer. Just be careful that the paperclip is secure. Stay safe wearing your mask if you need to leave the house and enjoy lounging in what remains of your Midas T-shirt at home!